Loading...
CC Measure C - Library Parcel Tax Election Results; 2010c►rr OFaz Agenda Item No: 3 Meeting Date: July 6, 2010 SAN RAFAEL CITY COUNCIL AGENDA REPORT Department: City Clerk Prepared by: Esther BeirneCity Manager Approval: SUBJECT: SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX - MEASURE C: (CC) (a) RESOLUTION DECLARING CANVASS OF RETURNS AND RESULTS OF CONSOLIDATED SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION HELD ON JUNE 8, 2010, RE: MEASURE C - SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX (b) ACCEPTANCE OF ORDINANCE NO. 1883 - AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL ADDING CHAPTER 3.36 TO THE SAN RAFAEL MUNICIPAL CODE ENTITLED "SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX" RECOMMENDATION: It is recommended that the City Council adopt the Resolution declaring canvass of returns and results of consolidated special municipal election held on June 8, 2010, re: Ballot Measure C - Special Library Services Parcel Tax. It is also recommended that the City Council, by motion, accept Ordinance No. 1883, adding Chapter 3.36 to the San Rafael Municipal Code entitled "Special Library Services Parcel Tax." SUMMARY/BACKGROUND: As a result of the election on Tuesday, June 8, 2010, at which the required two-thirds majority approved the passage of Measure C, the voters of the City of San Rafael adopted a new Ordinance adding Chapter 3.36 to the San Rafael Municipal Code, imposing a Special Library Services Parcel Tax. The City is now free to assign the next sequential Charter Ordinance number, 1883, and have the Ordinance entered into the record. Ordinance No 1883 imposes a special tax of $49 per parcel per year for a period of seven (7) years, with an additional $10 per living unit for parcels with multiple residences, up to a maximum tax of $1,000 per parcel per year. Proceeds of the special parcel tax will be placed in a separate fund to be used only for the library services prescribed by the Ordinance. By its terms, the Ordinance will become effective 10 days after the Council declares the canvass of the vote at the June 8, 2010 election. Therefore, if the Council adopts the attached Resolution canvassing the vote, Ordinance No. 1883 will become effective on July 16, 2010. The tax is to be collected by the FOR CITY CLERK ONLY File No.: L7-14 4 9-3-G( Council Meeting: -:I- /b/)_o ro Disposition: f2C-;�P1_-U _i_t0AJ rr- 0i?6tt a11C.e_ 1# igs-3 SAN RAFAEL CITY COUNCIL AGENDA REPORT / Page: 2 County Assessor and Tax Collector in conjunction with County property taxes, beginning in Fiscal Year 2010-2011. ACTION: 1. Adopt the Resolution canvassing the vote at the June 8, 2010 election; and 2. Pass a motion to accept Ordinance No. 1883 Enclosures: Resolution Ordinance No. 1883 WACity Clerk- WorkFileWgenda related\Canvasses\canvass of returns 2010 measure c.doc ORDINANCE NO. 1883 AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL ADDING CHAPTER 3.36 TO THE SAN RAFAEL MUNICIPAL CODE ENTITLED "SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX." WHEREAS, the City of San Rafael projects a budget deficit in excess of $3 million next year, requiring further reductions of Library program funding; and WHEREAS, the San Rafael Public Library operations are funded from the City's General Fund, necessary reductions to which have resulted in ongoing cuts to the Library's budget over the past six years, including the loss of a part-time Children's Librarian and additional positions in support staff; and WHEREAS, the Library's support groups, in particular the Friends of the Library, have provided ongoing operational and supplemental programming support for the Library through the ongoing efforts of dedicated volunteers, amounting to nearly $400,000 over the past eight years, largely to support ongoing purchases of books and other materials following budget cuts; and WHEREAS, use of the Library has been continually increasing for several years, with particularly significant increases in several measures of usage, including circulation and attendance, due to the economic downturn of the past two years, and recent cutbacks to school library services; and WHEREAS, the City has sought for years to find a means of setting aside funds for necessary facility, equipment and technology improvements to the Library; and WHEREAS, a local parcel tax dedicated to public library services and facilities would augment the capacity of the City of San Rafael to provide quality library services to its residents, over and above the proportional amount of the City's general fund currently allocated to the Library; and WHEREAS, imposition of a local special parcel tax dedicated to public library services and facilities is authorized by Government Code section 53717; and WHEREAS, the proceeds of a special parcel tax imposed hereunder for a period of seven (7) years would not cause the City to exceed its appropriations limit pursuant to California Constitution Article X1I113; and WHEREAS, funds from a locally approved tax could not be taken away by the state and would stay in San Rafael to benefit local residents. NOW, THEREFORE, the People of the City of San Rafael do ordain as follows: DIVISION 1: A new Chapter 3.36 is hereby added to the San Rafael Municipal Code to read as follows: Chapter 3.36 SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX 3.36.010 -- Purposes. This Chapter is adopted to achieve the following, among other purposes, and the City Council directs that the provisions hereof be interpreted in order to accomplish those purposes: A. To staff, provide, maintain and improve hours of operation, services, equipment, facilities, and materials at the San Rafael Public Library; and B. To provide and improve programs and materials for children, teens, adults, seniors, literacy learners and people with disabilities at the San Rafael Public Library; and C. To help with the City's long-term goal of setting aside funds for necessary facility improvements to the San Rafael Public Library. 3.36.020 -- Definitions. As used in this Chapter: A. "Library" means the San Rafael Public Library; B. "Living unit" means an individual dwelling space intended for occupancy by one or more persons, as may be set forth in the rolls of the County Assessor, and shall specifically include a mobilehome as defined in section 20.04.020H of this Code. C. "Multifamily residential parcel" means any parcel of land, developed or undeveloped, wholly or partially located within the City of San Rafael, for which the County Assessor of Marin County has assigned an assessor's identification number and which is listed on the rolls of the County Assessor as used for multiple family or duplex residential use. D. "Nonresidential parcel" means any parcel of land, developed or undeveloped, wholly or partially located within the City of San Rafael, for which the County Assessor of Marin County has assigned an assessor's identification number and which is listed on the rolls of the County Assessor as used for any use other than single family residential or multiple family or duplex residential use. E. "Parcel" means any parcel of land, developed or undeveloped, wholly or partially located within the City of San Rafael, for which the County Assessor of Marin County has assigned an assessor's identification number. N F. "Single family residential parcel" means any parcel of land, developed or undeveloped, wholly or partially located within the City of San Rafael, for which the County Assessor of Marin County has assigned an assessor's identification number and which is listed on the rolls of the County Assessor as used for single family residential use. G. "Tax" means the Special Library Services Parcel Tax imposed under the provisions of this Chapter. 3.36.030 -- Imposition of Tax. An annual Special Library Services Parcel Tax is hereby imposed pursuant to City Charter and Government Code section 53717 on each parcel within the City of San Rafael for the purposes set forth in this Chapter, at the following rates: Single family residential parcel: Multifamily residential parcel: Nonresidential parcel: 3.36.040 — Term. Forty-nine dollars ($49) per year per parcel. Forty-nine dollars ($49) per year per parcel plus Ten dollars ($10) per living unit, up to a maximum of $1,000 per year per parcel. Forty-nine dollars ($49) per year per parcel. The Special Library Services Parcel Tax imposed by this Chapter shall be levied annually for seven (7) years commencing in fiscal year 2010-2011. 3.36.050 -- Proceeds of Tax; Accountability Measures. All proceeds of the Special Library Services Parcel Tax imposed and levied pursuant to this Chapter shall be deposited into a separate "Special Library Services Parcel Tax" account to be used exclusively locally for the Library for the purposes set forth in this Chapter. The City's Finance Director shall prepare an annual report pursuant to Government Code Section 50075.3. 3.36.060 — Persons Liable for Tax; Collection of Tax. The tax imposed by this Chapter is not an ad valorem tax on property. The tax imposed by this Chapter is due from every person who is the owner of a parcel within the City of San Rafael, as reflected upon the rolls of the County Assessor of Marin County, unless that person or parcel is otherwise exempted by this Chapter. The Marin County Tax Collector shall collect the tax in the same manner and subject to the same penalties as County property taxes are collected. The full amount due under this Chapter shall constitute a debt to the City. An action for the collection of any amount due may be commenced in the name of the City in any court having jurisdiction of the cause. 3.36.070 — Exclusions and Exemptions. A. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as imposing a tax upon any person where imposition of such tax upon that person would be in violation of either the United States Constitution or the California State Constitution or other applicable law. B. The tax imposed by this chapter shall not be levied in any tax year upon any federal, state or local governmental entity. C. Any owner of a parcel used solely for owner -occupied single-family residential purposes who has attained, or will have attained, the age of 65 years or older prior to July 1 of the tax year, may obtain an exemption from the Special Library Services Parcel Tax for that parcel upon approval of an application of such owner submitted to the Library Director or his or her designee. Any one application from a qualified applicant will provide an exemption for the parcel for the remaining term of the tax so long as such applicant continues to own and use the parcel as his or her principal residence. 3.36.080 -- Independent Citizen Oversight. Within 60 days after the effective date of this Chapter, the City Council shall establish a Special Library Parcel Tax Committee to review the collection and expenditure of tax revenues collected under the authority of this Chapter. The Committee shall consist of at least five members, who shall be residents of the City. The terms of the Committee members and their specific duties shall be established by resolution of the City Council. DIVISION 2: If any section, subsection, sentence, clause or phrase of this Ordinance is for any reason held to be invalid, such decision shall not affect the validity of the remaining portions of this Ordinance. The Council hereby declares that it would have adopted the Ordinance and each section, subsection, sentence, clause or phrase thereof, irrespective of the fact that any one or more sections, subsections, sentences, clauses or phrases be declared invalid. DIVISION 3: This ordinance levying the tax described herein shall be effective ten days after the date on which the City Council has declared its approval by at least two-thirds of the City's electors voting at the special municipal election to be held on Tuesday, June 8, 2010; and the Special Library Services Parcel Tax so established shall be levied annually for seven (7) years, beginning in fiscal year 2010-2011 and shall thereafter expire unless extended with the approval of two- thirds of the electors voting upon the extension at a general or special municipal election. 4 DECLARED APPROVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL ON JULY 6, 2010 ATTEST ESTHER C. BEIRNE City Clerk 5 .il�/I A A BERT .BORO Mayor RESOLUTION NO. 12992 RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF TIIE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL DECLARING CANVASS OF RETURNS AND RESULTS OF CONSOLIDATED SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION HELD ON JUNE 8, 2010 RE: MEASURE C — SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX WHEREAS, in pursuance of law and the Charter of the City of San Rafael, there was held in said City on Tuesday, the 8`h day of June, 2010, a special municipal election (consolidated with the Consolidated Primary Election) for the purpose of submitting to the electors of the City of San Rafael the following measure: MEASURE C CITY OF SAN RAFAEL SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCELTAX "To provide a consistent, locally -controlled funding source, augmenting current general fiend allocations for the San Rafael Public Library, for expanded hours, improved facilities, equipment, materials, and services for children, teens, and adults, shall the City of San Rafael be authorized to levy an annual $49 parcel tax (slightly higher rates for multiple -unit residential parcels) for a period of seven years, with oversight by an independent citizens committee and with exemptions for senior citizens?" WHEREAS, said Special Municipal Election (consolidated with the Consolidated Primary Election) was held on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 in accordance with law and the votes thereat received and canvassed, and the returns thereof ascertained, determined, and declared in all respects as required by law: as follows: NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Council of the City of San Rafael, 1. That the City Clerk of the City of San Rafael be, and is hereby, instructed to enter this Resolution in the Minutes of the City Council as a statement of the results of said election; 2. That the whole number of votes cast at said election re: Measure C was 14,992 votes; that the number of valid votes cast at said election re: Measure C was 14,395; and that the number of valid votes cast in favor of Measure C was 10,115; all as shown on Exhibit "A", attached hereto and incorporated herein by reference; 3. That more than a two-thirds majority of all the votes cast on said Measure C were in favor of said Measure, and said Measure carried; and 4. That all absentee voters' ballots have been duly received and canvassed in time, form, and marmer as required by law. I, ESTHER BEIRNE, Clerk of the City of San Rafael, hereby certify that the foregoing Resolution was duly and regularly introduced and adopted at a regular meeting of the Council of said City held on Tuesday, the 6`h day of July, 2010, by the following vote, to wit: AYES: COUNCILMEMBERS: Brockbank, Connolly, Levine & Mayor Boro NOES: COUNCILMEMBERS: None ABSENT: COUNCILMEMBERS: Heller ESTHER BEIRNE, City Clerk 2 MAR1N COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VUTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE C (2/3rds Vote Required) Date:06/28/ 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:4 of 6 EXHIBIT "A" Reg. Voters Times Counted Total Votes YES NO Jurisdiction Wide 0001001 Polling 4 3 2 1 50.00% 1 50.00% VBM 4 0 0 0 - 0 Total 4 3 2 1 50.00% 1 50.00% 0001002 Polling 1193 222 212 168 79.25% 44 20.75% VBM 1193 377 361 254 70.36% 107 29.64% Total 1193 599 573 422 73.65% 151 26.35% 0001003 Polling 940 170 165 128 77.58% 37 22.42% VBM 940 359 346 252 72.83% 94 27.17% Total 940 529 511 380 74.36% 131 25.64% 0001004 Polling 956 208 200 140 70.00% 60 30.00% VBM 956 346 333 213 63.96% 120 36.04% Total 956 554 533 353 66.23% 180 33.77% 0001005 Polling 1003 191 185 132 71.35% 53 28.65% VBM 1003 386 372 259 69.62% 113 30.38% Total 1003 577 557 391 70.20% 166 29.80% 0001006 Polling 917 146 130 93 71.54% 37 28.46% VBM 917 387 368 232 63.04% 136 36.96% Total 917 533 498 325 65.26% 173 34.740/. 0001007 Polling 1007 111 104 67 64.42% 37 35.58% VBM 1007 267 261 163 62.45% 98 37.55% Total 1007 378 365 230 63.01% 135 36.99°/ 0001008 Polling 1359 196 188 144 76.60% 44 23.40% VBM 1359 485 455 319 70.11% 136 29.89% Total 1359 681 643 463 72.01% 180 27.990/ 0001009 Polling 956 154 147 106 72.11% 41 27.89 VBM 956 423 411 273 66.42% 138 33.58% Total 956 577 558 379 67.92% 179 32.080/ 0001010 Polling 1048 150 142 99 69.72% 43 30.28 VBM 1048 360 349 227 65.04% 122 34.96% Total 1048 510 491 326 66.40% 165 33.600/6 0001011 Polling 1019 191 186 147 79.03% 39 20.97% VBM 1019 346 334 251 75.15% 83 24.85 Total 1019 537 520 398 76.54% 122 23.46°/ 0001012 Polling 934 157 152 120 78.95% 32 21.05°/ VBM 934 377 362 260 71.82% 102 28.18°/ Total 934 534 514 380 73.93% 134 26.07 0001013 Polling 960 171 167 108 64.67% 59 35.33% VBM 960 362 350 222 63.43% 128 36.57% Total 960 533 517 330 63.83% 187 36.17°/ 0001014 Polling 1021 183 174 120 68.97% 54 31.03% VBM 1021 453 443 280 63.21% 163 36.79°" Total 1021 636 617 400 64.83% 217 35.17° 0001015 Polling 1369 239 229 148 64.63% 81 35.37° VBM 1369 611 596 378 63.42% 218 36.58° Total 1369 850 825 526 63.76% 299 36.24°4 Date:06/28/ 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:4 of 6 EXHIBIT "A" MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date:06/28/10 Time: 14:39:41 DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION Page:5 of 6 JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE C (2/3rds Vote Required) Reg. Voters Times Counted Total Votes YES NO 0001016 Polling 1349 269 262 177 67.56% 85 32.44% VBM 1349 561 538 339 63.01% 199 36.99% Total 1349 830 800 516 64.50% 284 35.50% 0001102 Polling 940 184 174 133 76.44% 41 23.56% VBM 940 336 321 253 78.82% 68 21.18% Total 940 520 495 386 77.98% 109 22.02% 0001103 Polling 1025 232 223 179 80.27% 44 19.73% VBM 1025 378 361 274 75.90% 87 24.10% Total 1025 610 584 453 77.57% 131 22.43% 0001106 Polling 668 72 70 60 85.71% 10 14.29% VBM 668 169 163 130 79.75% 33 20.25% Total 668 241 233 190 81.55% 43 18.45% 0001107 Polling 829 135 131 98 74.81% 33 25.19% VBM 829 256 248 167 67.34% 81 32.66% Total 829 391 379 265 69.92% 114 30.08% 0001110 Polling 402 64 58 44 75.86% 14 24.14%. VBM 402 225 214 155 72.43% 59 27.57% Total 402 289 272 199 73.16% 73 26.84%. 0001113 Polling 978 151 144 102 70.83% 42 29.17%: VBM 978 372 362 251 69.34% 111 30.66%• Total 978 523 506 353 69.76% 153 30.24% 0001121 Polling 942 173 168 131 77.98% 37 22.02% VBM 942 327 311 194 62.38% 117 37.62% Total 942 500 479 325 67.85% 154 32.15% 0001124 Polling 854 136 129 85 65.89% 44 34.11°iu VBM 854 309 293 204 69.62% 89 30.38% Total 854 445 422 289 68.48% 133 31.52% 0002021 Polling 61 23 23 14 60.87% 9 39.13% VBM 61 0 0 0 - 0 - Total 61 23 23 14 60.87% 9 39.13% 0002022 Polling 885 167 160 128 80.00% 32 20.00% VBM 885 253 242 179 73.97% 63 26.03% Total 885 420 402 307 76.37% 95 23.63% 0002023 Polling 894 147 136 93 68.38% 43 31.62% VBM 894 324 311 218 70.10% 93 29.90% Total 894 471 447 311 69.57% 136 30.43% 0002902 Polling 612 114 107 83 77.57% 24 22.43% VBM 612 210 205 149 72.68% 56 27.32°/u Total 612 324 312 232 74.36% 80 25.64% 000'_907 Polling 688 101 99 80 80.81% 19 19.19% VBM 688 164 160 129 80.63% 31 19.380/. Total 688 265 259 209 80.69% 50 19.31% 000'_'908 Polling 887 157 151 129 85.43% 22 14.57% VBM 887 212 206 148 71.84% 58 28.16% Total 887 369 357 277 77.59% 80 22.41% 0004600 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date:06/28/10 41 DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION Time: f Page::6 oof 6 JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE C (2/3rds Vote Required) Reg. Voters I Times Counted I Total Votes I YES I NO Polling 744 106 103 73 70.87% 30 29.13% VBM 744 181 170 118 69.41% 52 30.59% Total 744 287 273 191 69.96% 82 30.04% 0004601 Polling 938 118 113 77 68.14% 36 31.86% VBM 938 335 315 217 68.89% 98 31.11% Total 938 453 428 294' 68.69% 134 31.31% Total Polling 28382 4841 4634 3407 73.52% 1227 26.48% VBM 28382 10151 9761 6708 68.72% 3053 31.28% Total 28382 14992 14395 10115 70.27% 4280 29.73% MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST TURN OUT Date:06/28/ 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:1 of 6 Reg. Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Jurisdiction Wide 0001001 Polling 4 3 75.00% VBM 4 0 0.00% Total 4 3 75.00% 0001002 Polling 1193 222 18.61% VBM 1193 377 31.60% Total 1193 599 50.21% 0001003 Polling 940 170 18.09% VBM 940 359 38.19% Total 940 529 56.28% 0001004 Polling 956 208 21.76% VBM 956 346 36.19% Total 956 554 57.95% 0001005 Polling 1003 191 19.04% VBM 1003 386 38.48% Total 1003 577 57.53% 0001006 Polling 917 146 15.92% VBM 917 387 42.20% Total 917 533 58.12% 0001007 Polling 1007 111 11.02% VBM 1007 267 26.51% Total 1007 378 37.54% 0001008 Polling 1359 196 14.42% VBM 1359 485 35.69% Total 1359 681 50.11% 0001009 Polling 956 154 16.11% VBM 956 423 44.25°/. Total 956 577 60.36% 0001010 Polling 1048 150 14.31% VBM 1048 360 34.35% Total 1048 510 48.66% 0001011 Polling 1019 191 18.74% VBM 1019 346 33.95% Total 1019 537 52.70% 0001012 Polling 934 157 16.81% VBM 934 377 40.36% Total 934 534 57.17% 0001013 Polling 960 171 17.81% BM 960 362 37.71% Total 960 533 55.52% 0001014 Polling 1021 183 17.92% VBM 1021 453 44.37% Total 1021 636 62.29% 0001015 Polling 1369 239 17.46% VBM 1369 611 44.63% Total 1369 850 62.09% Date:06/28/ 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:1 of 6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date:06/28/10 41 DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION Time: e:2 :of Pagof 6 JUNE 85 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST TURN OUT Reg. VotersI Cards Cast I % Turnout 0001016 Polling 1349 269 19.94% VBM 1349 561 41.59% Total 1349 830 61.53% 0001102 Polling 940 184 19.57% VBM 940 336 35.74% Total 940 520 55.32% 0001103 Polling 1025 232 22.63% VBM 1025 378 36.88% Total 1025 610 59.51% 0001106 Polling 668 72 10.78% VBM 668 169 25.30% Total 668 241 36.08% 0001107 Polling 829 135 16.28% VBM 829 256 30.88%, Total 829 391 47.17% 0001110 Polling 402 64 15.92% VBM 402 225 55.97% Total 402 289 71.89% 0001113 Polling 978 151 15.44% VBM 978 372 38.04% Total 978 523 53.48% 0001121 Polling 942 173 18.37% VBM 942 327 34.71% Total 942 500 53.08% 0001124 Polling 854 136 15.93% VBM 854 309 36.18% Total 854 445 52.11% 0002021 Polling 61 23 37.70% VBM 61 0 0.00% Total 61 23 37.70% 0002022 Polling 885 167 18.87% VBM 885 253 28.59% Total 885 420 47.46% 0002023 Polling 894 147 16.44% VBM 894 324 36.24% Total 894 471 52.68% 0002902 Polling 612 114 18.63% VBM 612 210 34.31% Total 612 324 52.94% 0002907 Polling 688 101 14.68% VBM 688 164 23.84% Total 688 265 38.52% 0002908 Polling 887 157 17.70% VBM 887 212 23.90% Total 887 369 41.60% 0004600 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL.FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST TURN OUT Date: 06/2 8/10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:3 of 6 i Reg. Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Polling 744 106 14.25% VBM 744 181 24.33% Total 744 287 38.58% 0004601 Polling 938 118 12.58% VBM 938 335 35.71% Total 938 453 48.29% Total Polling 28382 4841 17.06% VBM 28382 10151 35.77% Total 28382 14992 52.82%. Date: 06/2 8/10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:3 of 6 i MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE C (2 3rds Vote Required) Date:06/28/ 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:4 of 6 EXHIBIT "All Rcg. Voters Times Counted Total Votes YES NO Jurisdiction Wide 0001001 Polling 4 3 2 1 50.00% 1 50.001.•0 VBM 4 0 0 0 - 0 Total 4 3 2 1 50.00% l 50.000/. 0001002 Polling 1193 222 212 168 79.25% 44 20.75% VBM 1193 377 361 254 70.36% 107 29.64% Total 1193 599 573 422 73.65% 151 26.350/, 0001003 Polling 940 170 165 128 77.58% 37 22.42°/ VBM 940 359 346 252 72.83% 94 27.17% Total 940 529 511 380 74.36% 131 25.640/ 0001004 Polling 956 208 200 140 70.00% 60 30.00°/ VBM 956 346 333 213 63.96% 120 36.04% Total 956 554 533 353 66.23% 180 33.770/ 0001005 Polling 1003 191 185 132 71.35% 53 28.650 VBM 1003 386 372 259 69.62% 113 30.38% Total 1003 577 557 391 70.20% 166 29.809/ 0001006 Polling 917 146 130 93 71.54% 37 28.460 VBM 917 387 368 232 63.04% 136 36.96 Total 917 533 498 325 65.26% 173 34.74% 0001007 Polling 1007 111 104 67 64.42% 37 35.58% VBM 1007 267 261 163 62.45% 98 37.55% Total 1007 378 365 230 63.01% 135 36.99% 0001008 Polling 1359 196 188 144 76.60% 44 23.40% VBM 1359 485 455 319 70.11% 136 29.89% Total 1359 681 643 463 72.01% 180 27.990/c 0001009 Polling 956 154 147 106 72.11% 41 27.89°/ VBM 956 423 411 273 66.42% 138 33.58% Total 956 577 558 379 67.92% 179 32.08% 0001010 Polling 1048 150 142 99 69.72% 43 30.28% VBM 1048 360 349 227 65.04% 122 34.96% Total 1048 510 491 326 66.40% 165 33.60% 0001011 Polling 1019 191 186 147 79.03% 39 20.97% VBM 1019 346 334 251 75.15% 83 24.85°/ Total 1019 537 520 398 76.54% 122 23.460/c 0001012 Polling 934 157 152 120 78.95% 32 21.050/ VBM 934 377 362 260 71.82% 102 28.18% Total 934 534 514 380 73.93% 134 26.07% 0001013 Polling 960 171 167 108 64.67% 59 35.339% VBM 960 362 350 222 63.43% 128 36.57% Total 960 533 517 330 63.83% 187 36.17% 0001014 Polling 1021 183 174 120 68.97% 54 31.03% VBM 1021 453 443 280 63.21% 163 36.799/° Total 1021 636 617 400 64.83% 217 35.179 0001015 Polling 1369 239 229 148 64.63% 81 35.37°0 V13N•I 1369 611 596 378 63.42% 218 36.58°o Total 1369 850 825 526 63.76% 299 36.24°d Date:06/28/ 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:4 of 6 EXHIBIT "All MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date:06/28/10 Time: 14:39:41 DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION Page:5 of 6 JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE C (2/3rds Vote Required) Reg. Voters Times Counted Total Votes YES NO 0001016 Polling 1349 269 262 177 67.56% 85 32.44% VBM 1349 561 538 339 63.01% 199 36.99% Total 1349 830 800 516 64.50% 284 35.50% 0001102 Polling 940 184 174 133 76.44% 41 23.56% VBM 940 336 321 253 78.82% 68 21.18% Total 940 520 495 386 77.98% 109 22.02% 0001103 Polling 1025 232 223 179 80.27% 44 19.73% VBM 1025 378 361 274 75.90% 87 24.10% Total 1025 610 584 453 77.57% 131 22.43% 0001106 Polling 668 72 70 60 85.71% 10 14.29% VBM 668 169 163 130 79.75% 33 20.25% Total 668 241 233 190 81.55% 43 18.45% 0001107 Polling 829 135 131 98 74.81% 33 25.19% VBM 829 256 248 167 67.34% 81 32.66% Total 829 391 379 265 69.92% 114 30.08% 0001110 Polling 402 64 58 44 75.86% 14 24.14% VBM 402 225 214 155 72.43% 59 27.57% Total 402 289 272 199 73.16% 73 26.84% 0001113 Polling 978 151 144 102 70.83% 42 29.17% VBM 978 372 362 251 69.34% 111 30.66% Total 978 523 506 353 69.76% 153 30.24% 0001121 Polling 942 173 168 131 77.98% 37 22.02% VBM 942 327 311 194 62.38% 117 37.62% Total 942 500 479 325 67.85% 154 32.15% 0001124 Polling 854 136 129 85 65.89% 44 34.11% VBM 854 309 293 204 69.62% 89 30.38% Total 854 445 422 289 68.48% 133 31.52% 0002021 Polling 61 23 23 14 60.87% 9 39.13% VBM 61 0 0 0 - 0 - Total 61 23 23 14 60.87% 9 39.13% 0002022 Polling 885 167 160 128 80.00% 32 20.00% VBM 885 253 242 179 73.97% 63 26.03% Total 885 420 402 307 76.37% 95 23.630/6 0002023 Polling 894 147 136 93 68.38% 43 31.62% VBM 894 324 311 218 70.10% 93 29.90% Total 894 471 447 311 69.57% 136 30.43% 0002902 Pulling 612 114 107 83 77.57% 24 22.43% VBM 612 210 205 149 72.689/0 56 27.32"'o Total 612 324 312 232 74.36% 80 25.64% 0002907 Polling 688 101 99 80 80.81% 19 19.19% VBN'I 688 164 160 129 80.63% 31 19.38% Total 688 265 259 209 80.69% 50 19.31% 0002908 Polling 887 157 151 129 85.43% 22 14.57% VBM 887 212 206 148 71.84% 58 28.16% Total 887 369 357 277 77.59% 80 22.41% 0004600 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date:06128l10 DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION Time: : Page:6 ooff41 6 JUNE 812010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE C (23rds Vote Required) Reg. Voters I Times Counted I Total Votes I YES I NO Polling 744 106 103 73 70.87% 30 29.13% VBM 744 181 170 118 69.41% 52 30.59% Total 744 287 273 191 69.96% 82 30.04% 0004601 Polling 938 118 113 77 68.14% 36 31.86% VBM 938 335 315 217 68.89% 98 31.11% Total 938 453 428 294 68.69% 134 31.31% Total Polling 28382 4841 4634 3407 73.52% 1227 26.48% VBM 28382 10151 9761 6708 68.72% 3053 31.28% Total 28382 14992 14395 10115 70.27% 4280 29.73°/. MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 81P 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST TURN OUT Date:06/28/10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:1 of 6 Reg. Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Jurisdiction Wide 0001001 Polling 4 3 75.00% VBM 4 0 0.00°/a Total 4 3 75.00% 0001002 Polling 1193 222 18.61% VBM 1193 377 31.60% Total 1193 599 50.21% 0001003 Polling 940 170 18.09% VBM 940 359 38.19%. Total 940 529 56.28% 0001004 Polling 956 208 21.76% VBM 956 346 36.19% Total 956 554 57.95% 0001005 Polling 1003 191 19.04% VBM 1003 386 38.48%_ Total 1003 577 57.53% 0001006 Polling 917 146 15.92% VBM 917 387 42.20% Total 917 533 58.12% 0001007 Polling 1007 111 11.02% VBM 1007 267 26.51% Total 1007 378 37.54% 0001008 Polling 1359 196 14.42% VBM 1359 485 35.69°/ Total 1359 681 50.11%. 0001009 Polling 956 154 16.11% VBM 956 423 44.25°/. Total 956 577 60.36%. 0001010 Polling 1048 150 14.31% VBM 1048 360 34.35% Total 1048 510 48.660/c. 0001011 Polling 1019 191 18.74% VBM 1019 346 33.950/. Total 1019 537 52.700% 0001012 Polling 934 157 16.81% VBM 934 377 40.36% Total 934 534 57.17% 0001013 Polling 960 171 17.81% BNI 960 362 37.71% Total 960 533 55.52% 0001014 Polling 1021 183 17.92% VBM 1021 453 44.37% Total 1021 636 62.29% 0001015 Polling 1369 239 17.160,'o VBM 1369 611 44.63°/F Total 1369 850 62.09% Date:06/28/10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:1 of 6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 85 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST TURN OUT Date:06/28.! 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:2 of 6 Reg. Voters Cards Cast % Turnout 0001016 Polling 1349 269 19.94% VBM 1349 561 41.59% Total 1349 830 61.53% 0001102 Polling 940 184 19.57% VBM 940 336 35.74% Total 940 520 55.32% 0001103 Polling 1025 232 22.63% VBM 1025 378 36.88% Total 1025 610 59.51% 0001106 Polling 668 72 10.78% VBM 668 169 25.30% Total 668 241 36.08% 0001107 Polling 829 135 16.28% VBM 829 256 30.88% Total 829 391 47.17% 0001110 Polling 402 64 15.92% VBM 402 225 55.97% Total 402 289 71.89% 0001113 Polling 978 151 15.44% VBM 978 372 38.04% Total 978 523 53.48% 0001121 Polling 942 173 18.37% VBM 942 327 34.71% Total 942 500 53.08% 0001124 Polling 854 136 15.93% VBM 854 309 36.18% Total 854 445 52.11% 0002021 Polling 61 23 37.70% VBM 61 0 0.00% Total 61 23 37.70% 0002022 Polling 885 167 18.87% VBM 885 253 28.59% Total 885 420 47.46% 0002023 Polling 894 147 16.44% VBM 894 324 36.24% Total 894 471 52.68% 0002902 Polling 612 114 18.63% VBM 612 210 34.31% Total 612 324 52.94% 0002907 Polling 688 101 14.68% VBM 688 164 23.84% Total 688 265 38.52% 0002908 Polling 887 157 17.70% VBM 887 212 23.90% Total 887 369 41.60% 0004600 Date:06/28.! 10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:2 of 6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS DIRECT PRIMARY ELECTION JUNE 8, 2010 OFFICIALYINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST TURN OUT Date:06/28/10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:3 of 6 Reg. Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Polling 744 106 14.25% VBM 744 181 24.33% Total 744 287 38.58% 0004601 Polling 938 118 12.58% VBM 938 335 35.71% Total 938 453 48.29% Total Polling 28382 4841 17.06% VBM 28382 10151 35.77% Total 28382 14992 52.82% Date:06/28/10 Time: 14:39:41 Page:3 of 6 June 28, 2010 ELAINE GINNOLD REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Registrar of Voters MELVIN BRIONES Assistant Registrar of Voters Esther Beirne, City Clerk City of San Rafael P.O. Box 151560 San Rafael, CA 94915-1560 Dear Ms. Beirne: Enclosed is the Certificate of Canvass of Vote and your copy of the Statement of Results of Votes Cast in the City of San Rafael Measure C. It will appear on the Board of Supervisors June 29, 2010 consent calendar. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our office. Sincerely, ELAINE GINNOLD Registrar of Voters MELVIN BRIONES Assistant Registrar of Voters Encl. P.O. Box E • San Rafael CA 94913 • Phone (415) 499-6456 • FAX (415) 499-6447 • www.co.marin.ca.us/elections • elections(a?co.marin.ca us CERTIFICATE OF CANVASS OF VOTE I, ELAINE GINNOLD, Registrar of Voters, County of Marin, State of California, do hereby certify that on June 25, 2010, 1 canvassed the vote cast at the Statewide Direct Primary Election held on June 8, 2010, and the results of said canvass are as follows: (See Attached) IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have set my hand and affixed myofficial seal on the 25th day of June, 2010. SEAL ELAINE GINNOLD Registrar of Voters CERTIFICATE OF CANVASS OF VOTE I, ELAINE GINNOLD, Registrar of Voters, County of Marin, State of California, do hereby certify that on June 25, 2010, 1 canvassed the vote cast at the Statewide Direct Primary Election held on June S, 2010, and the results of said canvass are as follows: . (See Attached) IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have set my hand and affixed my official seal on the 25th day of June, 2010. SEAL ELAINE GINNOLD Registrar of Voters CITY OF SAN RAFAEL ROUTING SLIP / APPROVAL FORM INSTRUCTIONS: USE THIS FORM WITH EACH SUBMITTAL OF A CONTRACT, AGREEMENT, ORDINANCE OR RESOLUTION BEFORE APPROVAL BY COUNCIL / AGENCY. SRCC AGENDA ITEM NO. DATE OF MEETING: 7/6/2010 FROM: ESTHER BEIRNE DEPARTMENT: CITY CLERK DATE: June 30, 2010 (a) RESOLUTION DECLARING CANVASS OF RETURNS AND RESULTS OF CONSOLIDATED SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION HELD ON JUNE 8, 2010, RE: MEASURE C — SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX (b) ACCEPTANCE OF ORDINANCE NO. 1883 - AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL ADDING CHAPTER 3.36 TO THE SAN RAFAEL MUNICIPAL CODE ENTITLED "SPECIAL LIBRARY SERVICES PARCEL TAX" Department Head (signature) tC (I1�l' 11, I �r JUN 30 2010 yin' ATTORNEY *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** (LOWER HALF OF FORM FOR APPROVALS ONLY) APPRO ED AS COU / AGENCY APPROVED AS TO FORM: A EN A IT+E per— it anager (signature) City Attorney (signature) ' fA NOT APPROVED REMARKS: