Loading...
CC Paramedic Tax Election Results; 2010c�Tr oF� Agenda Item No: 2 Aopt I�V"L­a Meeting Date: December 6, 2010 SAN RAFAEL CITY COUNCIL AGENDA REPORT Department: City Clerk Prepared by: Esther Beirne City Manager Approval: , 1 SUBJECT: PARAMEDIC TAX - MEASURE I: (CC) (a) RESOLUTION DECLARING CANVASS OF RETURNS AND RESULTS OF CONSOLIDATED SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION HELD ON NOVEMBER 2, 2010, RE: MEASURE I - PARAMEDIC SERVICES SPECIAL TAX ON RESIDENTIAL UNITS AND ON NON-RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES AND APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT INCREASE (b) ORDINANCE NO. 1891 - AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL AMENDING SECTIONS 3.28.040 AND 3.28.050 OF CHAPTER 3.28 OF THE SAN RAFAEL MUNICIPAL CODE, TO INCREASE THE MAXIMUM SPECIAL PARAMEDIC TAX RATE ON RESIDENTIAL UNITS AND ON NON-RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES AND TO INCREASE THE CITY'S APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT IN CONNECTION THEREWITH RECOMMENDATION: It is recommended that the City Council adopt Resolution declaring canvass of returns and results of Consolidated Special Municipal Election held on November 2, 2010, re: Ballot Measure I - Paramedic Services Special Tax on residential units and on non-residential structures and appropriations limit increase. It is also recommended to accept Ordinance No. 1891, amending the San Rafael Municipal Code to increase the special paramedic tax. SUMMARY/BACKGROUND: As a result of the election on Tuesday, November 2, 2010, the voters of the City of San Rafael adopted the amended paramedic tax ordinance, and the City is now free to assign the next sequential Charter Ordinance number and have the Ordinance entered into the record. FOR CITY CLERK ONLY File No.: 1-4 Council Meeting: I-I)b/Zo rO Disposition:�L� L� � io.� At [2 SAN RAFAEL CITY COUNCIL AGENDA REPORT / Paye: 2 Ordinance No. 1891 will permit, in phased increases, from $85.00 tax up to $108.00 tax per unit for residential units, and from $.11 per square foot tax up to $.14 per square foot tax for non-residential structures, in order to cover the cost of paramedic services, and to increase the appropriations limit for the City of San Rafael for four (4) years (2011/2012 through 2014/2015) by the total amount collected under this tax so as to enable the City to expend the money collected, as authorized by Article X1116 of the California Constitution. ACTION: Adopt Resolution and accept Ordinance No. 1891. Enclosures: Resolution Ordinance No. 1891 WACity Clerk- WorkFile\Agenda related\Canvasses\canvass of returns 10-item.doc RESOLUTION NO. 13079 RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL DECLARING CANVASS OF RETURNS AND RESULTS OF CONSOLIDATED SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION MELD ON NOVEMBER 2, 2010 RE: MEASURE I - PARAMEDIC SERVICES SPECIAL TAX ON RESIDENTIAL UNITS AND ON NON-RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES AND APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT INCREASE WHEREAS, in pursuance of law and the Charter of the City of San Rafael, there was held in said City on Tuesday, the 2nd day of November, 2010, a special municipal election (consolidated with the Consolidated General Election) for the purpose of submitting to the electors of the City of San Rafael the following measure: MEASURE I CITY OF SAN RAFAEL PARAMEDIC SERVICE SPECIAL TAX RATE INCREASE AND APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT INCREASE "To protect lifesaving paramedic services by maintaining rapid response times, providing advanced heart attack treatment, and keeping trained paramedics on fire engine companies, shall San Rafael Municipal Code Chapter 3.28 be amended to permit phased increases, up to $23.00 annually above the current rate, on residential units, and up to $.03 per square foot annually above the current rate on non-residential structures; and, shall San Rafael's appropriations limit be correspondingly increased?" WHEREAS, said Special Municipal Election (consolidated with the Consolidated General Election) was held on Tuesday, November 2, 2010, in accordance with law and the votes thereat received and canvassed, and the returns thereof ascertained, determined, and declared in all respects as required by law: as follows: NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Council of the City of San Rafael, 1. That the City Clerk of the City of San Rafael be, and is hereby, instructed to enter this Resolution in the Minutes of the City Council as a statement of the results of said election; 2. That the whole number of votes cast at said election re: Measure I was 19,853 votes; 3. That more than a two-thirds majority of all the votes cast on said Measure I were in favor of said Measure (per Exhibit "A", attached), and said Measure carried; and 4. That all vote by mail ballots have been duly received and canvassed in time, form, and manner as required by law. I, ESTHER BEIRNE, Clerk of the City of San Rafael, hereby certify that the foregoing Resolution was duly and regularly introduced and adopted at a Combined Special and Regular meeting of the Council of said City held on Monday, the 6t" day of December, 2010 by the following vote, to wit: AYES: COUNCILMEMBERS: Brockbank, Connolly, Heller, Levine & Mayor Boro NOES: COUNCILMEMBERS: None ABSENT: COUNCILMEMBERS: None '0z;-A�Ew- xi ESTHER BEIRNE, City Clerk WACity Clerk- WorkFile\Agenda relateWanvassesMeso-canvass IO.doc 2 ORDINANCE NO. 1891 AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL AMENDING SECTIONS 3.28.040 AND 3.28.050 OF CHAPTER 3.28 OF THE SAN RAFAEL MUNICIPAL CODE, TO INCREASE THE MAXIMUM SPECIAL PARAMEDIC TAX RATE ON RESIDENTIAL UNITS AND ON NON- RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES AND TO INCREASE THE CITY'S APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT IN CONNECTION THEREWITH WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of San Rafael in 1979 adopted an ordinance imposing a special tax to "fully fund" a city-wide Paramedic Service Program (Chapter 3.28 of the San Rafael Municipal Code); and WHEREAS, for more than thirty (30) years, the City Council has imposed this tax annually upon all residential units and upon all non-residential structures within the City of San Rafael for the intended purpose of funding complete and total costs associated with the provision of a citywide Paramedic Service Program; and WHEREAS, prior to the passage of Proposition 218 in 1996, the City Council each year adjusted the Paramedic Special Tax rate to fund total costs of the City's Paramedic Service Program; and, WHEREAS, the passage of Proposition 218, eliminated the authority of the City Council to adjust the maximum rate of the Paramedic Special Tax without first obtaining the approval of two-thirds (2/3rds) of the voters at a municipal election; and WHEREAS, in 2006 the voters of San Rafael approved an increase of the maximum Paramedic Tax rate to $85.00 annually for residential units and $.11 per square foot annually for non-residential structures; and WHEREAS, the City Council, after reviewing the total current and projected costs of the Paramedic Service Program, revenues provided by Ambulance Transporting, and the total revenue generated by the current Paramedic Tax maximum rate, has found that the current Paramedic Tax rate fails to fully fund the Paramedic Service Program, thus requiring the diversion of a portion of the City's General Fund to subsidize the Program, which diversion of General Fund monies threatens the provision of other City services including park maintenance, road repair, and police services and fire services; and WHEREAS, the maximum Paramedic Special Tax rate needs to be increased so as to fully fiend the City's Paramedic Service Program as was originally intended under the ordinance enacted by the voters of the City of San Rafael; and WHEREAS, it is crucial to ensure that the Paramedic Service Program remains completely and adequately funded by a combination of Ambulance Transportation billing and the paramedic tax revenues, so as to maintain rapid response times to medical emergencies, provide advanced treatment to heart attack patients and keep trained paramedics on fire engine companies; and, WHEREAS, the City Council has submitted to the City's voters on November 2, 2010 this measure to amend the Paramedic Tax ordinance to authorize an increase of the maximum Paramedic Special Tax rate so as to fully fund the Paramedic Service Program; and WHEREAS, this measure would also increase the City's appropriations limit for the next four (4) years in connection with revenue generated by the Paramedic Special Tax in accord with California Constitution Article XIIIB; NOW THEREFORE, the People of the City of San Rafael do ordain as follows: DIVISION l: San Rafael Municipal Code section 3.28.040 is hereby amended to read as follows: Section 3.28.040 -- Special Tax Imposed - Non-residential. A special tax of up to a maximum of fourteen cents ($.14) per square foot is imposed upon all non-residential structures within the corporate limits of the City of San Rafael, on an annual basis, to fund a Paramedic Service Program. DIVISION 2: San Rafael Municipal Code section 3.28.050 is hereby amended to read as follows: Section 3.28.050 -- Special Tax Imposed - Residential. A special tax of up to a maximum of $108 per residential unit is imposed upon all residential units within the corporate limits of the City of San Rafael, on an annual basis, to fund a Paramedic Service Program. DIVISION 3: As required by Article XIIIB of the California Constitution, the appropriations limit of the City of San Rafael shall be increased each year, for a period of four (4) years, by the total amount collected each year under the Paramedic Service Special Tax (Chapter 3.28, San Rafael Municipal Code). 2 DIVISION 4: This Ordinance shall be effective ten days after the date on which the City Council has declared its approval by at least two-thirds of the City's electors voting at the special municipal election to be held on the 2nd day of November, 2010. ATTEST: ESTHER C. BEIRNE, City Clerk 3 141V �1ALBERT'J. B, Mayor EXHIBIT "A" Date: 12i01!10 Time: 11:46:57 Pagel of'6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS GENERAL ELECTION NOVEMBER 2, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST City Of San Rafael - Measure I TURN OUT Reg Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Jurisdiction Wide 0001001 Polling 1228 414 3371% VBM1228 489 39.82% Total 1228 903 73.53% 0001002 Polling 0 0 - VBM 0 0 Total 0 0 - 0001003 Polling 1457 480 32.94% VBM1457 689 47.29% Total 1457 1169 80.23% 0001004 Polling 525 175 33.33% VBM 525 264 50.29% -Total 525 439 83.62% 0001005 Polling 941 276 2933% VBM 941 478 50.80% Total 941 754 80.13% 0001006 Polling 1527 408 26.72% V13M 1527 577 3779% Total 1527 985 64 51 % 0001007 Polling 958 329 34.34% VBM 958 437 4562% Total 958 766 79.96% 0001008 Polling 1022 309 30.23% VBM 1022 516 50.49% Total 1022 825 80.72% 0001009 Polling 940 237 25.21% VBM 940 503 53.51% Total 940 740 78.72% 0001010 Polling 994 233 23.44% VBM 994 414 4165% Total 994 647 6509% 0001011 Polling 4 3 7500% VBM 4 0 0.00111'0 Total 4 3 7500% 0001012 Polling 956 253 2646% VBM 956 513 5366% Total 956 766 8013% 0001013 Polling 1049 271 25.83% VBM 1049 509 48,52% Total 1049 780 74.36% 0001014 Polling 1050 326 31.05% VBM 1050 445 42.38% Total 1050 771 73.43% 0001015 Polling 952 253 26.58% VBM 952 481 50.53% EXHIBIT "A" Date: 12i01!10 Time: 11:46:57 Pagel of'6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date: 12/01/10 GENERAL ELECTION Time: l 1:off Page:2 of 6 NOVEMBER 2, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST City Of San Rafael - Measure I TURN OUT Reg Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Total 952 734 77.10% 0001016 Polling 976 286 29.30% VBM 976 482 49.39°/ Total 976 768 78.699/ 0001017 Polling 1032 274 26.55 VBM1032 569 55.14% Total 1032 843 81.69% 0001018 Polling 1385 362 26.14% VBM1385 739 53.36% 'Total 1385 1 101 79.49% 0001019 Polling 1351 368 2724% VBM 1351 707 52.33% Total 1351 1075 7957% 0001110 Polling 411 85 20.68% VBM 411 259 63.02% Total 411 344 83.70% 0001113 Polling 988 254 25 71% VBM 988 482 48.79% Total 988 736 74.49°/ 0001114 Polling 719 127 1766 VBM 719 365 5076% Total 719 492 68 43% 0001121 Palling 962 306 31.81% VBM 962 436 45.32% Total 962 742 77.13% 0001124 Polling 861 231 26.83% VBM 861 435 50.52% Total 861 666 77.35% 0001125 [lolling 654 208 31.80% VBM 654 285 43.58% Total 654 493 75.381/6 0002024 Polling 1324 430 32.48% VBM 1324 558 42.15% Total 1324 988 74.62% 0002025 Polling 786 263 33.46% VBM 786 320 40.71% Total 786 583 74.17% 0002903 Polling 468 144 30.77% VBM 468 206 44.02% Total 468 350 74.79% 0002904 Polling 627 156 24.8801 VBM 627 330 5263'1, Total 627 486 77 51% 0002908 Polling 874 306 3501% VBM 874 314 3593% MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS GENERAL ELECTION NOVEMBER 2, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST City Of San Rafael - Measure I TURN OUT Reg Voters Cards Cast % Turnout Total 874 620 70.941/ 0004600 Polling 738 190 25 75 VI3M 738 242 3279 'Notal 738 432 58 54% 0004601 Polling 965 238 2466 VBM 965 474 49.12°/ Total 965 712 73 78°/ Total Polling 28724 8195 2853 VBM 28724 13518 47.06% Total 28724 21713 75.59%4 Date: 12.0 1, 10 Time: 11:46:57 Page:3 of 6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS GENERAL ELECTION NOVEMBER 2, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST City Of San Rafael - Measure I CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE 1(2 3rds Vote Required) Reg Voters I Vote For I Tunes Counted -iolal Votes I YES Jurisdiction Wide 0001001 Polling 1228 1 414 370 267 7216% VBM 1228 1 489 440 305 69.32% Total 1228 2 903 810 572 70.62% 0001002 Polling 0 1 0 0 0 - VBM 0 1 0 0 0 Total 0 2 0 0 0 0001003 Polling 1457 1 480 424 314 7406% VBM1457 1 689 633 434 68.56% Total 1457 2 1169 1057 748 7077% 0001004 Polling 525 1 175 158 114 7215% VBM 525 1 264 242 174 7190% Total 525 2 439 400 288 7200% 0001005 [lolling 941 1 276 253 182 7194% VBM 941 1 478 444 289 65,09% Total 941 2 754 697 471 6T58% 0001006 Polling 1527 1 408 354 252 71.19% VBM 1527 1 577 532 364 68.42% Total 1527 2 985 886 616 69.53% 0001007 Polling 958 1 329 306 225 73.53% VBM 958 1 437 408 273 66.91% Total 958 2 766 714 498 69.75% 0001008 Polling 1022 1 309 277 193 6968% VBM 1022 1 516 472 329 6970% Total 1022 2 825 749 522 6969% 0001009 Polling 940 1 237 209 150 7177% VBM 940 1 503 470 290 61.70% -local 940 2 740 679 440 64.80% 0001010 Polling 994 1 233 216 163 75.46% VBM 994 1 414 371 238 64.15% Total 994 2 647 587 401 6831% 0001011 Polling 4 1 3 3 3 100.00% VBM 4 1 0 0 0 - Total 4 2 3 3 3 100.00% 0001012 Polling 956 1 253 235 171 72.77% VBM 956 1 513 487 316 6489% -Total 956 2 766 722 487 6745% 0001013 Polling 1049 1 271 233 151 64 81% VBM 1049 1 509 467 305 6531% Total 1049 2 780 700 456 6514% 0001014 Polling 1050 1 326 293 217 74.06% VBM 1050 1 445 412 292 70.87% Total 1050 2 771 705 509 72.20% 0001015 Polling 952 1 253 233 162 69.53% VBM 952 1 481 441 312 70.75% 103 27.84% 135 30.68°/ 238 29.38/, 0 0 0 110 25940/, 199 31 44°% 309 29 239.i 44 27.85°/ 68 28 10°/ 112 2800 71 2806. 155 34.91°/ 226 32 42°' 102 28.81°/ 168 31.58°/ 270 30.47% 81 2647% 135 33.09% 216 3025% 84 30.32% 143 30,30°/a 227 30.31% 59 28.23°/ 180 38.30% 239 35 20°/ 53 2454 133 35.85°/ 186 31.69°/ 0 0.00°/ 0 0 0.00°/ 64 2723 171 35.11°/ 235 32 550/ 82 35 19 162 34.69°/ 244 34.86 76 25.94°/ 120 29.13°/ 196 27.80°/ 71 3047 V 047°/ 129 29,25°/ Date: 12/01 /10 Time: 11:46:57 Page:4 of 6 MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date: 12/01!10 GENERAL ELECTION Time: l 1:Page:5 ff oof 6 NOVEMBER 2, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST City Of San Rafael - Measure I CITY 01' SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE I (2/3rds Vote Required) Reg Voters Vote For limes Counted Total Votes YES NO Total 952 2 734 674 474 70.33% 200 29670/. 0001016 Polling 976 1 286 271 163 60.15% 108 3985% VBM 976 1 482 455 313 68.79% 142 31.210/a Total 976 2 768 726 476 65.56% 250 34.44°/ 0001017 Polling 1032 1 274 254 149 58.66% 105 41.34°/ VBM 1032 1 569 531 343 64.60% 188 35.40°/ Total 1032 2 843 785 492 6268% 293 37 320" 0001018 Polling 1385 1 362 322 210 6522% 112 34.78°/ VBM 1385 1 739 693 433 62.48% 260 37.521/ Total 1385 2 1 101 1015 643 6335% 372 36.65% 0001019 Polling 1351 1 368 353 232 65.72% 121 34.28% VBM 1351 1 707 663 410 61.84% 253 38.16°/[� Total 1351 2 1075 1016 642 63.19% 374 36.81 0001110 Polling 411 1 85 77 58 75.32% 19 24.68% VBM 411 1 259 231 165 71.43% 66 28.57% Total 411 2 344 308 223 72.40% 85 27.60°/ 0001113 Polling 988 1 254 232 168 72.41% 64 27.59°/ VBM 988 1 482 449 327 72.83% 122 27.17 Total 988 2 736 681 495 72.69% 186 27319/ 0001114 Polling 719 1 127 114 87 7632% 27 2368 VBM 719 1 365 322 249 77.33% 73 22.67 Total 719 2 492 436 336 77.06%100 22,94°/ 0001121 Polling 962 1 306 281 193 68.68% 88 3132°/ VBM 962 1 436 403 258 64.02% 145 35.98°/ 1 otal 962 2 742 684 451 65.94% 233 34.06% 0001124 Polling 861 1 231 203 136 67.00% 67 33.00% VBM 861 1 435 406 264 65.02% 142 34.98% Total 861 2 666 609 400 65.68% 209 34,32°/ 0001125 Polling 654 1 208 193 142 73.58% 51 2642y VBM 654 1 285 259 189 72.97% 70 27.03°/ Total 654 2 493 452 331 73.23%121 26.77°/ 0002024 Palling 1324 1 430 384 298 77.60% 86 22.40 VBM 1324 1 558 507 363 71.60% 144 / 28.400 Total 1324 2 988 891 661 74.19% 230 25.81°/ 0002025 Polling 786 1 263 240 149 62.08% 91 37.92°/ VBM 786 1 320 290 187 64.48% 103 35.52°/ Total 786 2 583 530 336 63.40% 194 36.600/ 0002903 Polling 468 1 144 128 95 74.22% 33 25.78% VBM 468 1 206 193 134 69.43% 59 30.57% Total 468 2 350 321 229 71.34% 92 28.66°/ 0002904 Palling 627 1 156 137 97 70.80% 40 29.20°/ VBM 627 1 330 310 228 73.55% 82 26.45°/ Total 627 2 486 447 325 72.71% 122 27.29% 0002908 Polling 874 1 306 263 197 7490% 66 25.10% VBM 874 1 314 277 197 71 12% 80 28.88% MARIN COUNTY - REGISTRAR OF VOTERS Date: 12/01/10 Time: 11:46:57 GENERAL ELECTION Page:6 of 6 NOVEMBER 2, 2010 OFFICIAL FINAL STATEMENT OF VOTES CAST City Of San Rafael - Measure I CITY OF SAN RAFAEL - MEASURE I (213rds Vote Required) Reg Voters Vote For Times Counted Total Votes YES NO Total 874 2 620 540 394 7296% 146 27.04% 0004600 Polling 738 1 190 169 120 7101% 49 2899% VBM 738 1 242 218 135 61.93% 83 38.07% Total 738 2 432 387 255 65.89% 132 34-11% 0004601 Polling 965 1 238 202 118 58.42% 84 41.58% VBM 965 1 474 440 296 67.27% 144 32.73% Total 965 2 712 642 414 6449% 228 35,51% Total [lolling 28724 32 8195 7387 5176 7007% 2211 29.93% VBM 28724 32 13518 12466 8412 67.48% 4054 32.52°./ Total 28724 64 21713 19853 13588 6844% 6265 31.560 CITY OF SAN RAFAEL ROUTING SLIP / APPROVAL FORM INSTRUCTIONS: USE THIS FORM WITH EACH SUBMITTAL OF A CONTRACT, AGREEMENT, ORDINANCE OR RESOLUTION BEFORE APPROVAL BY COUNCIL / AGENCY. SRRA / SRCC AGENDA ITEM NO. A DATE OF MEETING: December 6, 2010 FROM: Esther Beirne DEPARTMENT: City Clerk DATE: November 30, 2010 TITLE OF DOCUMENT: PARAMEDIC TAX - MEASURE I: (CC) (a) RESOLUTION DECLARING CANVASS OF RETURNS AND RESULTS OF CONSOLIDATED SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION HELD ON NOVEMBER 2, 2010, RE: MEASURE I - PARAMEDIC SERVICES SPECIAL TAX ON RESIDENTIAL UNITS AND ON NON-RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES AND APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT INCREASE (b) ORDINANCE NO. 1891 - AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN RAFAEL AMENDING SECTIONS 3.28.040 AND 3.28.050 OF CHAPTER 3.28 OF THE SAN RAFAEL MUNICIPAL CODE, TO INCREASE THE MAXIMUM SPECIAL PARAMEDIC TAX RATE ON RESIDENTIAL UNITS AND ON NON-RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES AND TO INCREASE THE CITY'S APPROPRIATIONS LIMIT IN CONNECTION THEREWITH Department Head (signature) *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** (LOWER HALF OF FORM FOR APPROVALS ONLY) APPRO EDA COU IL/AGENCY AGE ND I City M age (signatu e) NOT APPROVED REMARKS: APPROVED AS TO FORM: L I �� City Attorney (signature